I have a habit of thinking of recipes and ideas of posts when I am trying to fall asleep. I don’t know why but it’s like my inner genius seems to awaken just when I am about to knock off for the day. Which is really annoying you know because I nearly always seem to forget them as soon as I wake up. Gahhh! #thestruggles
But for some unknown reason I happened to remember last nights Einstein antics and as soon as I woke up I just knew I had to make a peach smoothie. And more importantly, it would be called a ‘Peaches n’ Cream Smoothie’ but obviously that name didn’t get used (I have outlined why below), however I did make a pretty mean smoothie.
There are four reasons why I did not use that name (in list style, because I like lists):
- I realised that my idea of a healthy ‘Peaches n Cream Smoothie’ was a little bit boring. I mean, peach, yogurt, milk and honey….c’mon you can do better than that!
- Carrying on from that point, I started adding a bazillion other ingredients to the smoothie and I got a bit carried away, which meant that it wasn’t really your typical ‘Peaches n’ Cream Smoothie’ anymore due to all the add-ins.
- I also wanted to make the smoothie a bit more filling and balanced, which was another reason why I added so many other things to it, along with making it taste better too!
- But above all else you must know one more thing: one of my biggest pet peeves is when people say or write things that are grammatically incorrect. Sure, I do it every now and then but some people do it all the time and it really gets to me, ya know. Which is totally ironic and all too funny considering I was going to name this smoothie ‘Peaches n’ Cream’, which is actually grammatically incorrect (if you haven’t already guessed) because the plural of peach is peach not peaches. Just like fish people, it’s not fishesss!!! Yeah…..that one really gets to me. Also, when people say thinks like me and mum instead of mum and I or write your instead of you’re, don’t even get me started on that……but I’m getting carried away now. That’s a story for another time!
So, what was I saying, ah yes, the smoothie, that’s right!
This is a great breakfast smoothie because it’s equally tasty, quick and nutritious. Plus, you get your two serves of fruit nice and easy in the morning, loads of calcium thanks to the yogurt and honey (which is important for strong bones to prevent osteoporosis), some good fats from the coconut and macadamias, complex carbohydrates from the rolled oats and antioxidants from the cardamom, cinnamon and chia seeds, which also offer a wealth of other nutrients! Oh, and if you use Greek yogurt you also get a hit of protein! The combination of these nutrients mean that this smoothie is both filling (yet, not heavy) and energizing for the day ahead of you!
Peachey Keen Breakfast Smoothie
- 2 small peaches, chopped
- 2 large tablespoons natural or Greek yogurt
- ½ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Handful each of shredded coconut, macadamias and rolled oats
- ½ tablespoon chia seeds
- Cardamom, cinnamon, to taste
- Ice (optional)
- Place all the ingredients in a blender except for the cardamom, cinnamon and ice. Blend until fully combined. If needed add some more milk to the mixture. Add in the cardamom, cinnamon and ice and blend again, until all the ice is crushed and the mixture is smooth.
- Pour into a glass and serve.
- You can experiment with the different types of fruit you use. I recommend nectarine, mango, apple, berries and bananas! Make the most of the fresh seasonal produce!
Remember, healthy eating doesn’t have to be hard…..sometimes it’s best to keep it simple, stupid!