I CAN’T BELIEVE THAT I HAVEN’T POSTED A PASTA RECIPE ON THIS BLOG YET!!
Now that’s embarrassing.
I am a true pasta enthusiast. It just tastes so good I could eat it plain. In fact, I used to do just that when I was younger. And I don’t care what anyone tells you but pasta IS healthy, especially if you cook with wholemeal or experiment with other wholegrain pastas such as quinoa. And if you eat the right amount, alongside lots of veggies, you’re on a winner. Everything in moderation, guys.
So here is a perfectly healthy pasta recipe, just waiting for you guys to try it. It’s great for a summer lunch or even dinner if you so wish.
Deluxe Pesto Pasta Salad
- 500g pasta – spiral penne or orecchiette
- Handful baby spinach
- Handful olives, sliced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 150g feta
- 5 tablespoons whole egg mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons seeded mustard
- Basil pesto, to taste
- Bring some water to the boil and add a pinch of salt before adding your pasta. Cook to al dente according to the packet instructions and then strain in a colander and leave to cool.
- Meanwhile cut up your olives and red onion before adding to the pasta in a large bowl (you may need two bowls). Add the spinach and stir through. Crumble some of the feta over the top then mix through the mayonnaise, mustard, and basil pesto, adjusting quantities for a balanced flavour. Mix well.
- Garnish with the rest of the crumbled feta.
- This recipe is from the book, Flavours of Melbourne pg. 310. It was originally called, Olive Grove Salad and was a recipe from the café Famish’d.
When I made this salad I was astounded at how big it was. I couldn’t find a bowl big enough to mix it in so I had to use two!! The original recipe said that it served 4. And there is no way that it serves 4. I served it alongside a lunch for 6 people and there was heaps of leftovers so it took another 4 of us to finish it off for dinner later on. But I think if you ate it as a full meal it would probably serve at least 6 people. Minimum.
What I love about this recipe is that it is so easy and tasty too. So, I guess it’s not really that deluxe like the title says but I feel that if you make the basil pesto yourself it does really spruce this pasta salad up above the usual. And if you counter in all the other ingredients it really is deluxe compared to other pesto pasta salads.
I hope you enjoy it!
Also: 1 MORE SLEEP TILL CHRISTMAS!!!!