Bircher muesli is just one of those foods that will never go out of fashion, like denim jeans in the fashion world, they are both super easy (to make and wear) and keep you feeling comfortable(ly full – in this case) all day long. What more could you want?!
Serves 1 (quite large)
- ½ cup untoasted muesli/rolled oats *
- 3 tablespoons natural yogurt
- 3 tablespoons almond milk
- 1 apple, grated
- 1 tablespoons coconut
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 2 dates, chopped
- 1 tablespoon pepita (pumpkin) seeds
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- ½ orange, juiced*
- To serve (optional):
- Slivered almonds
- Blueberry nicecream
- Mix all the ingredients together in a small bowl, cover with cling wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning take it out and add some more yogurt and milk if it is too dry. Serve with whatever toppings you desire!
- *This is really filling, and I am a big breakfast eater so you could always reduce the amount of oats to 1/3 cup.
- If you are using plain rolled oats you can add a tablespoon of honey and some spices like cinnamon, to add extra sweetness and flavour.
- *You can also grate in the zest of the orange or substitute it with any other citrus fruit.
- Other add-ins include all sorts of dried fruits, nuts and seeds such as gogi berries, dried cranberries and apricots, and sunflower seeds.
You might have already guessed that I am a big Bircher muesli fan by now, and who wouldn’t be?! I love it for it’s simplicity and mound of nutritional benefits but also because it is one of those foods that can be prepared the night before and put in the fridge, so if you’re in a hurry to get to work or school in the morning you can just grab it and go. Easy as that!
I often hear people say that they don’t eat breakfast in the morning and I’m like what???!! How do they even do that?! People often find excuses by saying they don’t have time or never feel hungry when they wake up but the reality is that there are actually doing damage to their metabolism (and waistline). You see, when you go to sleep your metabolism actually slows down because you’re not using it but once you wake up it needs food (fuel) to get it burning fast again. So eating a well balanced breakfast actually adds in weight loss if that is something you are aiming for. It also keeps you feeling fuller for longer, which prevents binges throughout the day.
This recipe is super adaptable, as you may have already realised. The only ingredients that are always the same in every Bircher muesli is pretty much just the oats and yogurt. Other than that you can mix and match it to your hearts desire. Some people like to use coconut water in replace of the almond milk, which I haven’t tried yet so if you do let me know and tell me if its good.